DISCOVER A-ESQUE PRACTICES
From the inception of A-ESQUE, our Founder and Creative Director Amanda Briskin-Rettig’s intention was to be immersed in the process of making and harness this proximity to shape an agile system of in-house design, development and production.
A-ESQUE commenced with practices centred on controlled production, making locally and making responsibly, which deeply resonated with Amanda; it was not a matter of identifying with a certain movement from the outset, but upholding the values of craftsmanship, quality rather than quantity and highly considered production and consumption practices.
As awareness of the environmental and social impacts of the fashion industry has grown, we have recognised how the practices and values we have embraced over the years, in fact align with movements, such as slow fashion, in the sustainable and ethical fashion space.
We believe localising the aspects of design, development and production in our supply chain from inception, allows for greater control and fluidity in enriching our design and production practices for people and the planet.
Our ethos centres on openly observing where we are in our process toward greater sustainability, valuing the practices we have established at the heart of A-ESQUE, and continuing to grow our commitment toward social and environmental responsibility through our actions and mindset.
As a team, we celebrate a connection between our products, people and place. We actively nurture our relationships with our client community, our highly collaborative team, and with all who facilitate the vision of A-ESQUE each day, spanning from Melbourne to the rest of the world.
We envision advancing further in our transparency, our sustainable practices and the traceability of our supply chain as we continue to evolve. With systemic change essential for the future of fashion, we wholeheartedly want to be a part of this transformation.
- We design through a thoughtful iterative process that draws from our Archive Collection to inform new pieces, refining timeless aesthetics and wearability to align with the evolving desires of our clients.
- We do not adhere to a fixed seasonal offering of pieces as we choose to create consciously with flexibility in response to the shifting environment we live in.
- Our design approach strives to balance aesthetic desirability with a strong application of functionality, durability and versatility, which are key characteristics of slow fashion design.
- Our leather and hardware supply factor into design decisions in a conscious effort to increase resourcefulness and minimise waste.
Lean and Local Production- Our Atelier team of artisans handcraft all of our pieces exclusively in our Melbourne Atelier, employing:
- years of acquired leather knowledge,
- traditional, slow production techniques and
- contemporary skills
across cutting, skiving, hand constructing and sewing.
- We practice lean production, controlling our inventory by maintaining a low level of stock to avoid oversupply; we do not wish to make more than what is needed. We manage this by utilising methods of:
- Made to Order
- Pre-Order making
- Small batch production drops
Conscious services- Highly involved client service allows us to guide your conscious consumption. We welcome and happily offer:
- Virtual consultations for online showings of our pieces
- Atelier visits
- Personalised product images
- Additional measurement details
- Further product information
We want our clients to love their pieces, which ensures they will cherish wearing them for years to come, extending the use phase in the lifecycle of each piece we create.
- We open our Archive Collection for our clients to select and enjoy past pieces we have available, in order to minimise product waste whilst celebrating the longevity of our pieces as timeless designs.
- Our Atelier provides a bespoke custom-made service, embracing the slow fashion practice of engaging clients in the process of creating their pieces. We welcome discussions around your preferences and facilitate custom orders of our pieces within our capacity and material supply. Amongst our custom offering, we accommodate personalisation in strap lengths, colours and leather types to our existing collection, or recreations of our past designs upon request, to ensure you have the most ideal piece for you to enjoy.
- Our Atelier offers a repair service to enhance the longevity of A-ESQUE pieces in use. We celebrate repair and reuse over discarding products with fixable faults, which soon find their way into landfill. We assess repairs to establish what we can accommodate to prolong the life of your piece.